Monday, March 4, 2013

Finished Project


ImageSo this is the dresser that we acquired and I really liked, but didn't love. Until now! I have been looking for some furniture to redo and this was the perfect project! I've been looking for a table for some wasted space in my home and this fit perfect. It just didn't have the look I was wanting. I really wanted something bold and different so I figured I could get that by just updating it a little. So here is what I've done.
First I sanded all the pieces down. Now this took me a while as it's been below 0 for a while here. I did it in my house, section by section.
ImageImageImageImage
After each piece was sanded, I wiped them down with cloth and then washed each one to make sure that I got any lasting film or dust off. I also removed all the hardware to update that as well. I'll get to that in a minute.
Next was the part I had been waiting for! The paint! For anyone who knows me, I love to paint! I don't even care what it is, a wall or furniture I don't care I just love to paint! So I picked a color that I thought would be a statement sort of color and something that I don't see often in other homes. I chose Midnight Dream from Behr. It is a primer and paint in one. Now there is a lot of debate on what type of paint to use, what type of primer to use etc. But after a discussion with the super helpful Home Depot guy he told me this would be just fine to use and to my excitement a little cheaper as well! Again, if you know me you know I hate to spend money. Yes, I'm a cheapskate.
I applied the first coat as soon as I got home because I just couldn't wait to see it! I let it sit for a few hours and applied the second coat. Luckily this paint has a two hour re-coat time!
ImageImage
While the first coat was drying I started on the hardware. It was old and sort of starting to rust so I needed to update that as well. I wanted to have a nice bright handle to contrast the  blue. So I chose Rustoleum Hammered spray paint. It works perfect for metal and hides any imperfections in the hardware from the rust etc.
To prep the hardware I soaked it in some rubbing alcohol for a few hours and then lightly sanded it with a medium sandpaper to make sure the paint would stick.  I pushed each piece onto a sheet of cardboard so nothing would tip over and I could get an even coat on each piece.
ImageI sprayed the pieces and let them sit for an hour or so. Normally with a spray paint I wouldn't wait so long but I had to do this outside and it was about 4 degrees I think. Everything takes longer in the cold. But I did one thin coat and then came back and did a thicker one to top it off.
ImageThe hardest part was waiting to put it all back together. I was absolutely dying to see the end result. And I have to say when I finally got to put it all back the way it was I was so pleased with the end result!
Image
It turned out exactly how I was hoping! And it cost me under $50 to do the whole thing. And that is because I would up purchasing some extra things that I didn't even need to use. So all in all with paint and brush/roller it was about $30!
So simple and easy to do I can't believe I haven't done this before! I am now on the hunt for more furniture to update and bring new life to!

No comments:

Post a Comment